Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TurboKlone Instructions for Success!
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
TurboKlone Instructions for Success!
I haven't seen too many Turboklone guides that have all of the information laid out in one comprehensive, “plant specific,” step-by-step guide yet. So here's my attempt. I had always been a rapid rooter guy, but I had always heard such good things about aeroponic cloning. To be honest, I was always a little apprehensive about trying to deal with something so finicky as aeroponics. But I had to give it a shot. When I first got my Turboklone, I failed at making anything other than a slimy mess out of my reservoir. I dumped 3 sets of cuttings until I finally got it right. My turboklone recipe for success that has been working lately is as follows:

Equipment used:

24 site turbokloner (the smallest size available)

Small aquarium heater (size yours accordingly to you cloner's size. I used the smallest one available)

Small submersible aquarium thermometer

15 minute interval timer (although a cycle timer might work better for some)

2 40-watt 6400k “daylight” fluorescent 4ft shop lights on a 18hrs on/6hrs off schedule

Spray Bottle

Nutrients used:

Clonex solution

Clonex gel

B-1 Thrive-Alive

Before I start a cloning cycle, I put 2 gal. of tap water in my reservoir, add 40ml of Clonex solution, and pH it down to around 5.5. If the pH Is close at all I leave it and run the pump for 24 hours as pH tends to climb significantly in the first day. Mine went to 7 in 24 hours. On the second day I adjust the pH back down to around 5.8-6.0. I use a small aquarium heater that I set to 70F although my temps on the thermometer are reading 72-74F. That keeps my temps steady at night and on cold days. I like to place my thermometer just above the waterline in the root zone. I run my pump on a timer 15 minutes on/15 minutes off. I've heard that cycle timers with shorter intervals are better, but since I've been having success with this regimen I'll keep it at 15 on/15 off. If it's not broke, I won't be fixin' it. Lighting is set at 18 hours on and 6 off. My lights are placed at a distance of 1ft away from the canopy of clones. The Turboklone fan is on the same timer as the lights. No need to cool in the evening right?

When I take my clones I choose ones that are from 5 to 7 in. long and make my cut with a razor blade. I then place them in a cup of water. When I'm done taking the cuts that I need, I re-cut the stems at a 45 deg. angle on the next node up from the bottom of where I took my cut, then scrape about a half inch of the bottom of the stem off, exposing the cambium and immediately dip it in Clonex gel to seal it. I immerse about the bottom two inches of the clone in Clonex gel and then place them in a dixie cup for a moment to let the excess clonex gel drip off before I transfer them into the neoprene collars and into the sites that I will use. It is not abnormal for the pH to climb again slightly after putting the clones into the machine. It usually levels off at around 6.5 after 24 hours into the first day of being in the machine. I assume that the excess gel that washes off of the clone might have a higher pH than your prepared solution. After the timers are set and the clones are all in, I put the humidity dome over the top for the first five days or so. My theory is that by keeping the humidity up in the first few days that I can alleviate some of the stress on the tender cuttings. I'm sure that it will work fine without the dome though, I just tend to try and baby them a little in their fragile state. Each day I go in and mist the canopy with a foliar spray of B-1 Thrive-Alive. I mix about 2 drops into the standard spray water bottle and shake it vigorously. Once the cloner's temperature, and pH'd solution are dialed in, I don't mess with it any further, I just let it do its thing. I usually have transplantable roots in 9 to 14 days depending on variety. The next concern to think about when your using any aeroponic cloner is keeping it clean for future propagation. If you don't clean the hell out of these things, you will get the dreaded white or brown slime in your reservoir.

I've fought the slime with the turboklone for a while when I first got it. I finally beat it when I took the manifold off of the pump, pulled off the sprayers, pulled everything out and scrubbed them down with some Dawn Dish soap. Then I rinsed the components and soaked them all in a 10% bleach water solution. I then scrubbed the reservoir, the top and the dome with the dawn and then rinsed everything. I put a 10% bleach solution in the reservoir, reattached the manifold to the pump and ran it for a couple of hours with the sprayers off and no inserts. (This is where having the humidity dome helps.) I checked for debris in the reservoir which there was some, then changed the bleach water solution and reattached the sprayers and ran it for another hour. Then I dumped it and let it air dry. I now do this between every cycle of clones.

I hope this helps anybody who has one of these or is considering getting one of these. The initial expense is a bit much and it takes a little bit to figure it's quirks out, but once you get these babies dialed in, it's a super easy and fast propagator that will pay for itself in the long haul. I welcome any responses, questions, suggestions or constructive criticisms. Best of luck to you all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: TurboKlone Instructions for Success!
A little update to this. I usually transplant when roots are very developed at around 9 to 14 days. They are usually at least two inches long and dangling. I have done a little research and seen that many people are transplanting much earlier when the roots are only about a quarter to half an inch off of the stem with success. That would drop my total cloning time to around 6 to 9 days depending on the strain. Happy cloning!
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't understand the heater since I'm always fighting higher temps. I probably need a chiller instead. I am wondering if my pump is wearing out and creating more friction/heat?

Question: How often do you use the collars? Do you replace them every time?
06-08-2012, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 11:51 PM by stinkymcgee420.)
If high temps are your issues, then you might need a chiller. If the environment that you have it in hasn't changed yet the reservoir temp has risen, then I would look at your pump, because as you said, its probably failing. Also a chiller is a lot more expensive than a pump, so I would try a new pump first. I have two sets of collars and when I'm cleaning the main unit out, I soak the set that I last used in a 10% bleach solution and let them dry out and set them aside to dry and use the fresh set for the next run. I use them for 3 cycles each and then replace them.
03-28-2013, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 03:38 AM by Berna22.)
Thanks stinkymcgee420 ...... for sharing information.
03-28-2013, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 01:48 PM by Slydog.)
That's some solid info too. Thanks for that post McGee.

Just looking on woot today and they have a small portable ac unit for 250 and 5 shipping. Could be useful in a small garden setup.

Help keep the room cooler.
04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm just getting started, have been having trouble getting my first batch of viable clones, and picked up a TurboKlone to help, but I'm not having much luck with it either.
04-15-2013, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 07:43 AM by Slydog.)
What are you doing wrong leo?

http://youtu.be/L-jZvg_qCQ8

http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuan...lones.html
01-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Question RE: TurboKlone Instructions for Success!
I just got the T24 too, not seeing any root buds yet at day 5, so

#1 should light be 24hr or give e'm a couple hrs rest?

#2 you mention a timer.... should the pump be going 24hrs or in 15min intervals ?
01-24-2014, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014 02:04 PM by oldskool.)
I have (since this thread began) discovered what for me seems to be the key to making the TK work without gtrowing the dreaded "slime/snot".

I had trouble - even after thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting between uses, replacing the collars every time, trying different reservoir additives, etc. The previous time, I did everything right (including temps). The first two days, everything looked clear - but on the third day, the res was full of snot and every single stem was coated with it!

I thought that was it - I'm done with this P.O.S.! But in desperation (nothing in veg to re-take cuts from) - I removed each and every stem from their collars and cut them back above the slime line. Fortunately, I had taken long enough cuts that I had enought stem to do that. I completely cleaned and disinfected everything and filled the res with plain old H20. After that, I emptied, rinsed, and re-filled the res every other day. The idea was that, if it takes three days for the slime to grow - I'll dump it before it can blossom. I was able to save and root about 70% of that batch.

This last time, I dumped and re-filled the res after the first 24 hours. My theory is that whatever is getting into the system has to be coming off the stems themselves, and takes three days to fully develop - so I won't give it a chance. After that, I cleaned and re-filled every other day.

Eureaka! I didn't see a spot of snot - and 100% thick, long, white roots in 9-12 days! We'll see if I can replicate this experiment succesfully and consistently in the future - but I am pretty convinced that the early and frequent replacement of clean, cool H20 is the key to eleiminating the dreaded and deadly goo.

BTW, I had been regulalrly scraping each stem (from a particulalrly "woody" strain). This last time, I only scraped a few to see if it was really necessary (because it's sort of tedious, and I also suspected some of the material turning to goo was coming from the scraped stems). It appears that the scraped stems were the first to pop (by a day or two) - but seems uneccesary with 100% success in less than two weeks.