Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
926 PubMed Cannabidiol Studies, Harlequin strain high in CBD
01-15-2012, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2012 03:04 PM by james sr.)
926 PubMed Cannabidiol Studies, Harlequin strain high in CBD
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view....nID=001656

Should cannabidiol (CBD) be a medical option?

[Editor's Note: Cannabidiol (CBD) is the main non-psychoactive chemical component of marijuana. The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) was awarded United States Patent #6,630,507 (185 KB) for CBD and other cannabinoids on Oct. 7, 2003. However, the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) classifies CBD as a Schedule I drug, meaning it is considered to have "no accepted medical use,” "a high potential for abuse,” and "a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision." Of the 926 medical studies involving CBD (2.08 MB) (as found on PubMed, Sep. 22, 2011), most of them reported positive pharmacological effects although most were also animal or cell studies vs. human studies or clinical trials.

Given the large volume of studies on CBD, the HHS patent of this Schedule I drug, and the growing attention CBD receives, we have compiled the best pro and con arguments that we could find on the subject to help our readers better understand this controversy.]

Harlequin

# Classification: Sativa (75%)/Indica (25%)
# Growing Environment: Indoor Recommended
# Flowering Time: 60 - 70 days
# THC Content: Low
# CBD Content: High
# Garden Ability: Beginner to Intermediate
# Medicinal Uses: Pain relief, anti-inflammatory, anxiety

Cannabissearch.com Buzz Rating: The taste is ever-so-sweet with definite fruitiness, with the aroma being thick, sweet and hash-like.

Harlequin is preceded by a Thai cannabis strain, a Swiss one, and a Columbian Gold marijuana strain. While Harlequin is notably low in THC content (lab testing in California showed around 7%), it is considerably high in CBD (usually showing results between 5% and 9%). Cannabidiol content this high in strains throughout dispensaries is considered somewhat rare in recent time, making this unique strain sought after for it's pain relieving qualities and noticeable cerebral effects.

Comparitively, this amazing hybrid begins her flowering cycle early. Dime-sized buds are oftentimes visible after just 2 weeks into Harlequin producing the first buds. Additionally, growers should take caution in the last week or two before they harvest this plant. The flowering tops become so heavy and buds so tri-chrome-covered that the colas will require extra support to keep from collapsing under all this added weight. An added frustration - but one that is well worth the wait - is that Harlequin usually takes between 2 and 3 weeks to finish the curing process.

Harlequin is not for those smokers who are just looking to "catch a buzz," due to the low THC content, however medicinally speaking, this strain is great for patients looking for chronic pain relief or who enjoy meditating, because of the amount of CBD present in the cannabis. Harlequin is one of those strains that, when grown properly, will come out amazing, but when grown improperly, has a tendency to be an abomination.

"It is the Imaginative and Intellectual mind that "they're" afraid of. An educated mind, the world's most powerful weapon".

I love thclist.com Cool
medical treatment among the privileges protected by the Priv & Immu Clause
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
RE: 926 PubMed Cannabidiol Studies, Harlequin strain high in CBD
Anyone willing to provide a cut of harlequin? My wife has MS and could benefit from this high CBD strain. Thanks!
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
My goal is to find a lower thc/higher cbd strain by years end!

[Image: obey.gif]
01-16-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2012 12:52 PM by Im Papap.)
(01-16-2012 12:18 PM)Herb Wrote:  My goal is to find a lower thc/higher cbd strain by years end!

Me Too Herb, Sooner I hope... Thats why I'm in this for!
Ender..

Anyone try it as edible or tincture that you could comment on? I'm in it for the pain relief!
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Ender,
Cannabidiol —CBD— is a compound in Cannabis that has medical effects but does not make people feel “stoned” and actually counters some of the effects of THC. After decades in which only high-THC Cannabis was available, CBD-rich strains are now being grown by and for medical users.
The reduced psychoactivity of CBD-rich Cannabis may make it an appealing treatment option for patients seeking anti-inflammatory, anti-pain, anti-anxiety and/or anti-spasm effects without disconcerting euphoria or lethargy.

Approximately one in 750 samples of Cannabis being grown for medical use is turning out to be CBD-rich. (For data collection purposes, "CBD-rich" has been defined as 4% or more by dry weight.) Doctors and patients now have a unique opportunity to evaluate its effects.

Each seed has a different cannabinoid profile. In general, it is estimated that 1 in 4 seeds of a CBD rich strain will yield CBD rich results. Others may have a 1:1 ratio, while others will have a high THC and low CBD percentage.
To produce CBD-rich Cannabis from seed, a purchaser would have to grow all the seeds out and have each plant tested at a lab for cannabinoid content. (The CBD:THC ratio be determined in the vegetative stage, when plants are about four weeks old.) The grower could then choose the CBD-rich profile(s) she wants to produce, and take cuttings. Cannabinoid levels will increase as the plant flowers, but the ratio will be maintained.

In my opinion, and from research being done on CBD's, growers are going to have to test there phenotypes and sometimes even have to pop many seeds and find the right ribbon strain, that is highest in CBD's. But still, there will be no head high, and that is great for folks that dont want that lethargic heady high associated to strains with high thc content. So I think its very well possible that many of your patients will not like CBD strains from the sounds of it!

Good Luck Man!

P.S. The Harlequin strain looks like a great strain, as well as the Omrita Rx3 for high CBD's, but its up to the grower to test the strains and find the right phenotype as many are not the same out of 100's of seeds.
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Sorry if it wasn't clear by the article. As NG states, CBD strains are for those whom do not want the head high.. CBD strains will disappoint you if your looking for a normal head-high for relief.

HIGH CBD strains do not get you high at all. They work on a different level of efficacy in the body.

In cali a specific pheno strain of Harlequin was seized by the DEA because it was through the roof on CBD levels.. don't recall what it was but, it had the DEA all over it..

Here is an article from toke of the town on high CBD strains.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2011/05/all...bd_pot.php
All Healing, No High: Dispensary Offers High-CBD Pot Strains

Here is Harborside website for CBD strains they have.
http://harborsidesanjose.com/highcbdstrains
CBD is non-intoxicating. Medical marijuana patients who appreciate the euphoric effect of high-THC cannabis will probably not favor high-CBD strains.
On the other hand, cannabis patients who want the anti-spasm or anti-inflammatory effects of cannabis delivered without an accompanying "high" might prefer a high-CBD strain.

Anyone whom grew up smoking weed knows we all went for the head high, remember the lumbo or the tied-to-a-stick goo from over yonder. Big difference in effect on the head.. one was a headache the other was a head relief. In theory, Lumbo is high in CBD and low in thc. The other in theory would be the opposite.

An example of different phenotypes from the same strain..
http://projectcbd.org/StrainNotes/Cannat...tonic.html
Resin Seeds of Barcelona advanced our cause by contributing seeds of their Cannatonic strain, which had tested at 6% CBD and 6% THC at a lab in Spain. Its name may be misleading, since CBD supposedly cancels the sedating effects of THC... In late June Whitney Eads, RN, MSN, planted 11 Cannatonic seeds which she'd gotten from Clark Metcalfe of Feminine Seeds. They grew into four distinct phenotypes, one of which —the one that turned purple, phenotype 3— was found by two different labs to contain slightly more than 13% CBD, with about half as much THC."

The others Eads describes as "light green, darker green, and a super-sativa with very thin leaves." The super-sativa tested very high in THC —above 20%, with almost no CBD."

I am sure Demo has a great strain and folks are looking for what the strain doesn't offer nor could it.. on the other hand.. I will take a cut if you can get it down here, or save one till I can get up there in about 3 months. I would love to carry on the CBD strain you have demo. Maybe I could cross it with a lumbo strain I have.. Wink.

Either way, I think it is worth a try for folks whom don't want the high..

Ever try juicing it demo ??

I think personally, HIGH CBD strain should be eaten and not smoked for the full effect.

"It is the Imaginative and Intellectual mind that "they're" afraid of. An educated mind, the world's most powerful weapon".

I love thclist.com Cool
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree eating high CBD strains is probably the best route.

Ender: pm sent.

Notice: ender's strain of Cannatonic will be tested for CBD's in the next week and publicized in this forum. I already have Ender's cut of Cannatonic. So the test will reveal what we have for CBD's in both of our cannatonic's.

Ender: I will call you when the test results are done.
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
(01-16-2012 10:19 PM)wapiti Wrote:  I agree eating high CBD strains is probably the best route.

Ender: pm sent.

Notice: ender's strain of Cannatonic will be tested for CBD's in the next week and publicized in this forum. I already have Ender's cut of Cannatonic. So the test will reveal what we have for CBD's in both of our cannatonic's.

Ender: I will call you when the test results are done.

Thank you !!

Demo may have a unique strain for NEW wa. marketing. Cool

I love thclist.com Cool
01-17-2012, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2012 04:16 AM by RightRevGreg.)
This ministry encountered a failure to respond in prostrate cancer treatment using an elevated THC hash oil. We also encountered a failure to respond in Crohn's treatment with an elevated THC hash oil. Both hash oils were cannabis sativa. We then tried a cannabis indica from Negril, Jamaica and both patients responded. We only recommend an elevated CBD for treatment in prostrate cancer and Crohn's. Also, we have found a report that 90% coco butter in the form of chocolate and 1/8 teaspoon of grocery store Cinnamon taken with 1 gram of hash oil can change failure to respond to positive response in cancer treatment as the CB1 and CB2 receptors become 'unblocked' with the Cinnamon and the cancers are forced to digest the phytocannabinoids as fat soluble in the Coco butter. Don't know yet how accurate that maybe. But, we will be finding out more soon as the investigations continue.
(01-17-2012 04:14 AM)RightRevGreg Wrote:  This ministry encountered a failure to respond in prostrate cancer treatment using an elevated THC hash oil. We also encountered a failure to respond in Crohn's treatment with an elevated THC hash oil. Both hash oils were cannabis sativa. We then tried a cannabis indica from Negril, Jamaica and both patients responded. We only recommend an elevated CBD for treatment in prostrate cancer and Crohn's. Also, we have found a report that 90% coco butter in the form of chocolate and 1/8 teaspoon of grocery store Cinnamon taken with 1 gram of hash oil can change failure to respond to positive response in cancer treatment as the CB1 and CB2 receptors become 'unblocked' with the Cinnamon and the cancers are forced to digest the phytocannabinoids as fat soluble in the Coco butter. Don't know yet how accurate that maybe. But, we will be finding out more soon as the investigations continue.
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I have scheduled my cannatonic to be tested on Monday, Jan 23rd. I'll make results known soon afterwards.